Monday, May 3, 2010

Life Change...for the Better

     Mondays at work are pretty quiet for me.  When I'm not working with students I don't really have much that I need to do.  I stumbled across this blog today during my student-less (is that a word?) time, and it's really got me thinking about several things.
     a.  It's not enough to sit here and talk about how I want to be healthy and get in shape and work on running.  I have to get off my butt and do it.  Even if all the running I can handle is a couple of minutes, it's better than doing nothing at all.
     b.  I need to not just stay at one level, but try to improve.  Small improvements add up and create one big improvement.  The author of the blog, or someone he wrote about, started out like me (can't remember which) - couldn't even jog a mile.  Within 10 weeks he was able to run 3 miles.  Why can't I do that too?
     c.  There's a pretty good chance my lung function can improve.  The author of the blog had PFTs in the 20s (which is practically bad enough for transplant) and got them up to the 60s.  Mine are in the 60s, so imagine where I could potentially get them!
     d.  Making excuses is not acceptable.  My boyfriend was just telling me this the other day about running.  I need to stop making excuses and just do it.  I agreed with him, but have I done anything about it yet?  No.  That's going to change. Today.  Tomorrow.  Every day after that.  This blog post was another much needed slap in the face for me.  Focusing on my health does not mean that I am neglecting God or other people or other responsibilities.  In fact, neglecting my health reduces my ability to put time and effort into all the other areas of my life.  An hour a day of working out is a lot less than 24/7 of being really sick.  I found this running plan, and I'm going to do it and stick to it!  On the off days,  I'll do some strength exercises.
      e.  I must, must, must, MUST be ridiculously strict about doing my therapy.  All of my therapy.  No skipping anything.  Not a nebulizer.  Not my vest.  Not a pill or inhaler.  Nothing.  I'd like to say I'm already perfect at this, but let's face it.  I'm not.  I am not a morning person.  When my alarm goes off, I reset it. When I should be getting up around 5:15 or 5:30, I'm not actually getting up until 6:00 or 6:10.  This leaves me only enough time to quickly do my Colistin or TOBI (depending on the month) and run out the door to get to work on time.  NOT acceptable.  How on earth do I expect meds to work if I'm not doing them right?  Fixing this problem is going to require huge amounts of self-discipline and relying on God.  I have to do it, and I'm going to do it with God's help and strength.


I'd really appreciate your prayers in these areas.  I'm really good at staying motivated.  For about 3 days.  Or a week.  Then my motivation is gone.  That cannot keep happening.  No excuses.  I just have to do what I have to do to stay healthy.  Like everyone else with CF, I want to be around for many more years.  I'm 23.  I have my whole life ahead of me.  But not if I don't do what it takes to stay healthy.  So, here's to a healthier me.  My next clinic appointment is June 25th...plenty of time to get those PFTs up!  

No comments: