Monday, December 29, 2008

Doctors, doctors, doctors

During school breaks, it's like I live at the doctor's office sometimes. Or should I say doctors' offices because I have so many? The day we left school, I woke up in incredible pain. I was in agony most of the way home and then better that night. The next day was even worse. I was even throwing up from the pain. We thought it might be my gallbladder, and the doctor agreed to see me that day. After an xray, bloodwork, and an ultrasound, he was pretty sure I had the beginning stages of pancreatitis, a possible CF complication. He sent me home with an anti-nausea med and tylenol with codeine. It worked for about 20 minutes. I was so bad that night that my parents took me to the ER. There they gave me 2 big bags of fluids and morphine, which helped quite a bit. Strangely enough, as soon as I sat up, the pain came back. They gave me vicodine and sent me home. I took vicodine the next morning, and have been fine since then. More bloodwork proved that my problem is not pancreatitis. We don't know what the problem is. My doctor put me on omeprezole, which is a reflux med, because he said that could be the problem. We determined that the other 2-3 times I have been hospitalized with the same symptoms were probably not a stomach bug, but whatever this problem is. So, I may be seeing a GI doctor while I'm home.
Then, along with the usual dentist and eye doctor appointments, I went to the ENT where he determined I have a sinus infection. He put me on doxycycline for that. That's a med that I'm on through IV when I'm in the hospital and have taken orally for my lungs before. I head to the CF doctor on Wednesday, so I'm hoping and praying that if anything has been going on in my lungs, the doxycycline will take care of it and I won't need to be in the hospital. My PFT's held steady all semester, so we'll see. The sinus infection didn't seem bad, so I think we caught it soon enough that it shouldn't have affected my lungs at all. I hope, anyway.
The bright side in all of this craziness? I was home (or on my way home, at least) when it happened. The other 2 times this has happened since I've been in college, I've been at college - 10 hours away from home. The symptoms of extreme pain and vomiting usually last a week. No one in the hospitals I've gone to down there really understand CF. The CF hospital is 45 minutes from school. This time it was only two days - two very long days. At least I was at home with a doctor who knows me! Also, if this had hit next semester as it has a strange habit of doing, it would have been during student teaching, and that would have been bad! I can only miss 5 days for snow days, sickness, and job interviews. If I had gotten this at school, I probably would have been out for a week because nothing would have been done as quickly, and I wouldn't be graduating in May. Praise the Lord for His timing!

No comments: